Thursday, July 18, 2013

Confession #7: I Breastfed!

That's right folks! Despite my complete lack of Mommy training, I breastfed my kid. Thankfully God saw fit that my son knew what to do from birth. But my true confession isn't simply that I chose me over can, but that I did so for 2 1/2 years. Yes, YEARS!

I saw to it that my kid would get the most benefit of being a baby. I did my research. I found that breastfeeding was most beneficial in this disease-riddled world. I also must admit here that I was determined to breastfeed because my husband was diagnosed with cancer just two weeks after our son was born. SO with cancer knocking at his back door, I had to make sure I was offering him THE best I could.

It may seem more than a little crazy to feed from the boob longer than 6 months (and boy did I get the riot act when I continued WAY past that from family). Here's the truth of it all: I felt this was the ONLY thing I could get right as a new mommy knowing nothing. Breastfeeding literally came naturally to me...and my son. I didn't need any counseling, I didn't need any help. I would tell docs and fam alike, "I got this!" Plus, he was so cute when he would find the Boppy that I hid and had it dragging down the hall telling me he found it so we could have our "Special Time"!

It broke my heart to finally let go of this vice. But I let it end just as naturally as it had begun. I stopped reminding him. I stopped offering it. I waited until he brought it up and when he hadn't for two days, it was over. My body stopped producing and our "Special Time" ended.

We still do stuff together and have fun and I would call that Special but it will never be the same...I suppose it shouldn't, but I still miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment