Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Confession #3: The Dish

I am NO Suzie Homemaker! Sure, I do some chores around the house but I fight it every step of the way. But the chore I hate the most is dishes! I'm sure there's some psychological link as to why this is, like how my middle name used to be "The Dishwasher" when I was 5 years old, and how I used to break the insanely thin glasses my mother insisted we use every day. Or the crazy heavy Le Creuset pots and pans I had to clean and put away alongside the GLASS pans (seriously, who does this?!)

Oh, and when I say my name was The Dishwasher I don't mean I loaded the dirty dishes into the dishwasher, I mean we had no actual dishwasher and I scrubbed and cleaned every one of those crazy things while standing on a step-stool from the age of 5 until I moved out...well, I guess until I got married (my husband took over the task if I did everything else...I thought it was a good bargain). 

Now don't get me wrong; I can clean with the best of them and get all crazy a la Hyperbole and a Half:
but I don't like it. I've even recruited my own 4 year old in on the scheme so he can find out what it feels like to be a slave to chores at such a ripe young age...of course he battles the hand vac and child-sized broom but I like my dishes and want to keep them in one piece. Passing on the therapy tradition or teaching him life skills? You decide, I've got some cleaning to do...


No comments:

Post a Comment